DWG files include the design data for AutoCAD projects, therefore when they get corrupted and damaged, and you can no longer open or use them, you risk losing many hours of work. If such unwanted situations happened, and you don't have a backup at hand, there's still a last resort solution in the form of using a specialized data recovery tool that attempts to repair and restore the broken DWG files. DWG Repair Kit is a good example of such tools.
DWG Repair Kit is a simple-to-use application that can be handled even by complete beginners thanks to its intuitive, wizard-like interface that guides the users step-by-step through the recovery process. It offers a reliable method of previewing the recoverable data from the processed DWG file before actually restoring that file.
On the other hand, the file analysis process was rather slow, especially for larger DWG files. It also doesn't support processing DXF files or other AutoCAD drawing formats. Only DWG files can be loaded, processed and repaired. Anyway, the worse part is yet to come: once the analysis is over, in order to actually restore the damaged DWG file (actually by creating a new file containing the data recovered from the old, damaged file), you need to have a version of AutoCAD installed on your system. This may not be a big deal for many users, but those who prefer using AutoCAD alternatives for their daily CAD management tasks won't be able to make proper use of DWG Repair Kit.
Anyway, DWG Repair Kit is a neat and handy tool that may be well worth a try in those desperate situations when your days of hard work seem to be lost because of a corrupted DWG file.
- Handy preview function with drawing zooming and navigation tools
- Easy-to-use wizard-like interface
- The interface is available in multiple languages
- Requires AutoCAD to be installed for the recovery process to be performed
- The analysis speed is slow, especially for larger files
- Doesn't support DXF files too
- The interface cannot be customized
- Clicking the offline "Help" menu link does nothing / yields no result